Monday, October 23, 2023

Submitting for an exhibition

About 7 weeks ago, I wrote about preparing for an exhibition. Well, today, I finally submitted a work for that exhibition. It was the first piece that I ever submitted on my own. In the past, I had always worked with my calligraphy teacher when submitting for exhibitions. This time, I had to go through the entire process on my own, from thinking about what to write, composing the piece, practising it, writing the final work, and filling in the required forms for submission. It was a learning process and I learnt a lot from it.

This was the trash generated.

A point of reflection. When practising, I had written pieces, then put them aside, thinking to look through them the next day.
 
But instead, I ended up just writing and writing each day, with very little time spent reviewing the pieces I wrote. As a result, I became much better at using goat hair calligraphy brushes to write the way I want, but the overall composition could be further improved. This is a lesson that I hope to apply in my next work.

The piece I submitted will be revealed after the exhibition selection results are out. Meanwhile, time to start working on the next pieces for two exhibitions next year. Wish me luck! 😉

Update 10 December 2023: The piece was actually selected for the exhibition, and I went to see it on display today at Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum (東京都美術館).
 
After looking at all the works by various masters, I finally saw my own piece.

I am not very satisfied with it, but I guess I should count myself lucky that it even got selected.

No comments: