Monday, October 26, 2020

Watching Violet Evergarden the Movie for the fourth time

Violet Evergarden the Movie is the first movie which I have watched four times at a theater. And also the first movie which I have watched four times at the same theater. The first time was on opening day. The second time for the cast greeting event. The third time was to confirm the last line of Violet's letter. And the fourth time over the recent weekend was to see how the turnout is as well as to get the plastic folder.

And I have received some movie-related merchandise too, including the aforementioned plastic folder.

Why does the story of Violet Evergarden resonate with me?

For one, it is about ex-military personnel fitting into a world after military service. Being ex-military myself, it is something that I can appreciate, somewhat. Not fully, since my military experience is very different from Violet's, but the weight of a commander's decisions and having to live with consequences on the lives of others... that is something that I can understand.

Another is writing for others. As a translator, I am, in a way, like Violet. I take someone's words, and turn them into words that someone else (speaking another language and from another culture) can understand. I can appreciate how difficult it is to express thoughts and ideas, and the difficulty in choosing the right words and fitting expressions.

Anyway, there will be another cast greeting event this coming Saturday (31 October 2020) which will take place in Kyoto. While I won't be heading to Kyoto for the event (tickets are limited and the travel is costly), I do hope to get tickets to the local theater which will be broadcasting the event live. Wish me luck!

My review of Violet Evergarden the Movie (2020) can be found here.

No comments: