Sunday, October 24, 2021

Watching Dune (2021 movie) at a IMAX theatre

After watching Dune on its opening day in Japan at a Dolby Cinema, I wanted to see what the IMAX experience is like, since it was being promoted as having been shot for IMAX.

I had high hopes and great expectations. But I must say, I am not really sure how this "shot for IMAX" thing works.

IMAX is supposed to have a larger (taller) screen than the usual ultrawide format of movies. This means that on an IMAX screen, ultrawide movies will end up with that black band at the top and bottom. And to me, this was the most distracting part about watching Dune in IMAX. The screen was switching between using the entire screen, then having black bands at the top and bottom. At first, I thought this was only for the very first part in Caladan, when scenes with people would be in ultrawide while the landscape in IMAX. But no, it seems there isn't any rule. You can have scenes with people in IMAX too. This constant switching in aspect ratio was so distracting, I wondered if they could have taken a bit more effort in the post-production to avoid such switching. Or just used the taller aspect ratio for the entire filming.

I didn't notice this switching of aspect ratio in the Dolby Cinema version, and personally, between the constant switching (which is distracting) and seeing less of the top and bottom of each scene, I would go with the latter.

Anyway, now that I have watched the film twice and in both formats, I shall try to find time to write down my thoughts about it. Soon.

No comments: