Saturday, February 08, 2020

Blue screen of death

Update Feb 10, 2019: "Blue screen of death" solved. Somehow, the BTN_EN1 (which is connected to GPIO0) pin was pulled to GND. This caused the board to go into flash/download mode. I turned the rotary encoder on the LCD a bit, it somehow cleared the GND status of the pin, and the board could boot with the screen working fine.

About two weeks ago, my "clone" CR10 stock display (the LCD controller with EXP3 for Creality printers) died on me with a blue screen. When I powered on the printer (my coreXY modified FLSun Cube with the MRR ESPE board), the LCD screen shows a blank screen (blueish back light), and the printer does not boot up properly. I cannot access the printer via WiFi too. When the LCD is disconnected, the printer can be accessed via WiFi, so I know the issue is with the LCD.

Today, the same thing happened on my Ender-3 (running on a MRR ESPE too). Same thing, blue screen on the stock LCD and the printer fails to boot. Disconnect the LCD and the printer can boot up and become accessible via WiFi. Right now, it is even doing a print controlled via the web interface.

I haven't went into troubleshooting the LCD yet, but if anyone has any suggestions on where to start looking, I am all ears.

This is how the LCD controller looks like.



No comments: