Friday, October 26, 2012

After the Rain 雨あがる

I watched this film while on a red-eye flight, and didn't regret any minute of it. It is about a wandering samurai (known as ronin) who is actually a master swordsman, but at the same time a very good-natured person. Thus, he can't seem to stay long at a job, since extreme good nature and extreme expertise don't really mix very well. As mentioned by someone in the movie, when someone asks with concern if you are alright after defeating you, it seems like he is playing with you. People take insult when none was meant, simply by his overly good nature.

But does that mean we should change ourselves just so others can accept us? When the masterless samurai was denied employment for an enfringement in code of conduct, his wife puts it best by saying, it is not about what he has done, but why he did it, that really matters. A lord that cannot see beyond what he has done to try and understand why he has done it, is not worthy of his service.

It is a reminder to myself, that even as I improve myself, I must not lose sight of what I am aiming for, and what I am myself.

No comments: