Sunday, August 04, 2024

Attempting to create a work of 尺八屏 size

In Japan, the largest (longest) paper size used in exhibitions is 尺八屏 (53 x 234 cm). This is because the largest frame size used is 2x8 feet, and the paper used for such a frame is usually 尺八屏 (a Chinese paper size) or 1.75x7.5 feet (53 x 227cm, which is a Japanese paper size) paper.
 
It can be daunting trying to work with paper that is taller than one's own height. But then, I came across a quote from the manga Blue Period (ブルーピリオド), which is about someone who strives to be an artist.

「特別じゃない。天才にはなれない。やった分しか上手くならない。だったら、だったら、天才と見分けがつかなくなるまでやればいい。」
"I'm not special. I'll never become a genius. I can only get better through practice. I guess... I'll just have to work until you can't tell the difference between me and a genius."

And so, I decided to give it a try.

At roughly 2x8 feet, which means a ratio of 1:4, it is roughly the same as hansetsu 半切 (34.5x134 cm) paper. So I decided to attempt using the same layout from some of my other practice pieces that I had been practising on hansetsu paper.



The paper is longer than the curtains... which makes it a challenge when practising, as I have to hang it up to dry so that I can work on the next piece. I also managed to use up all the pieces of paper "samples". Basically, when I buy a new brand of paper, I cut a small sample to create my paper catalogue. The remaining paper is set aside for practice because it is smaller than the normal size and thus cannot be used for submissions. When I accumulate enough pieces of samples, I would use them in a practice session. This time, I finally got down to using my 尺八屏 samples.

Maybe one day, I will submit a work on 尺八屏 paper for an exhibition. One day... 😅

No comments: