Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Laid-Back Camp: Movie (映画 ゆるキャン△)

Laid-Back Camp: Movie (映画 ゆるキャン△; also Yuru Camp: Movie) opened in Japan on July 1, 2022, and I duly made my way to catch it on opening day. In fact, the first show at the local theatre, because they were handing out a special volume 13.5 of the manga.

Wait, why is this post on July 12 if I really went to catch the movie on July 1? Well, I was thinking of waiting till I watched the movie for a second time before writing about it. But since my first viewing of the movie on July 1, almost two weeks have gone by without a second chance to watch it, so I thought I better get down to writing something and update it later when I watch the movie a second time. And yes, I will be watching it again, since I still haven't used my pre-sale ticket.

The story is actually an original one based on the characters in the Laid-Back Camp manga/anime series, one that takes place when they have grown up and are went their separate ways, pursuing different jobs. Rin is now working at a publisher in Nagoya, while Nadeshiko has moved to Tokyo and works at an outdoor goods store. Chiaki used to work in Tokyo but quit her job and moved back to Yamanashi, where she works for the local tourism promotion board. Aoi is still in Yamanashi, working as an elementary school teacher, and Saito has moved to Yokohama, where she works at a pet salon.

The broad story brings these five girls back together to work on a project: turn an abandoned site into a campsite using their camping knowledge. Rin, being the most knowledgeable about camping, is the leader of this group, although it is officially a project of the local tourism promotion board where Chiaki works. Of course, no story is complete without a bit of challenges and setbacks for the team, and we see that here too, when a surprise find at the campsite derailed the project. But the girls eventually found a way to get back on track.

I really like how the producers of this movie managed to come up with an original "X years later" movie that brings back the familiar characters, but in an older, more mature way, yet still very much themselves. Saito's dog Chikuwa is now a lot older and it is hinted that it won't have much longer to go, and it is heartwarming (and a bit sad) to see how Saito handles this. I guess a large part of this movie is about moving on. Well, they are no longer teenage high-school girls now; they are working adults, each having to fend for themselves. Rin no longer rides her cute Vino scooter; she has moved to her grandfather's bigger motorcycle. But... spoiler! The cute Vino does make a special appearance in the movie.

In the end, I think Laid-Back Camp: Movie shows how it is possible to have a sequel "years later" story for all those anime/manga series based on high-school kids. I really hope to see HTT from K-On! make a come back as a band for a final gig in such a sequel.

No comments: