Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Creating a font using FontForge

As part of the Tellsis language translator, I learnt to create my own font.
 

I used FontForge, and for each character, basically traced it out in FontForge.

First, I set the font type to stroked font with a stroke width of 1.

Then, I drew each glyph by using a picture of each character as a background and tracing it out.

Then, I changed the font type to outline font. And select all glyphs, then Element ->Expand Stroke so that the single line traces become outlines. (See this page for information.)

For spacing, I used the hint here.

Okay, by now, you should have guessed that this post is more a note to myself, so that I can remember what I did. 😅 Hopefully, it serves as a hint to others too.

P.S. Remember to create the "space" glyph too. All that is needed is to set the left and right spacing.

No comments: