Tuesday, September 17, 2019

MRR ESPA Kickstarter launched!


The MRR ESPA has been launched on Kickstarter!
Here is the link: MRR ESPA

It is priced to cover the cost of production and shipping, including any fees that must be paid to Kickstarter and PayPal/bank, plus any taxes on my end (unfortunately, funds received via Kickstarter will be taxed... sigh). The purpose for launching the MRR ESPA on Kickstarter is because I want to make it available to people who otherwise do not have the time/resources to make their own. I mean, the project is open source. Anyone can get the required files from GitHub, and make one. But buying the components (most of them do not come in quantities of ones, so you will need to buy in bigger quantities) and then soldering them... not everyone wants to do that.

So I talked to Elecrow, see what is a good "mass production" quantity that will bring the cost down, and got them to give me a low-cost quotation for drop-shipping via airmail. Added everything up, threw in taxes, payment fees, and voila! I got the magic number of 5,290 yen, which should be around USD48. It may seem a bit costly, but that price includes shipping. Plus confidence and quality, because the board will be made by Elecrow, who is quite established. (I had wanted to talk to SeeedStudio too, but they only entertain quantities of at least 1,000... which is way beyond what I am prepared to do).

While waiting for the Kickstarter to close, I will be testing the MRR ESPA on my modified FLSun Cube (it has undergone a CoreXY conversion). Standby for more updates!

For those who don't need the board, you can still show your support by helping to spread the news! There is also a 100 yen reward option. 😉

Note: Pre-launch version now available here. Some information on this has been updated here.

No comments: