Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Platinum fountain pen sold at Daiso

I mentioned that I saw a cheap looking Platinum fountain pen being sold at Daiso. And since the Daiso fountain pens I tried worked so well for their price range, I thought I would give the Platinum fountain pen a try, even though it looks really cheap, because of its price. I mean, this is a 100-yen fountain pen.
 

It comes with a Platinum black ink cartridge, sealed with a ball bearing.


It writes great for its price. However, it took a while for the ink to reach the nib after being inserted, so you need to be patient.


The design of the pen also makes it "dangerous" when inserting a cartridge. It can be potentially messy, so I would advise wearing an apron when inserting and removing cartridges.


Still, it uses the common Platinum cartridge which means it is reusable, and can potentially be fitted with a converter too. Though the converter costs more than the pen itself. Like, five times more. 😅
 
The cap even has the Slip & Seal mechanism that Platinum is known for. At least, I think so, since I used a toothpick to push against the cap and could determine that it is spring-loaded inside.

In short, this is a great pen for its price. Yes, there are better fountain pens out there with smoother nibs and better ink flow, but they cost exponentially more. For 100 yen, this fountain pen writes way better than expected, making it a very cost-effective option for anyone still learning about fountain pens or just needing one every once in a while.

No comments: