Thursday, January 10, 2008

Windows Vista crashed!


Bad news... Windows Vista just crashed on me. I tried to shut it down normally, but it won't, so I forced it to shut down by holding down the power button... and now, it won't boot up beyond the moving green bar. After trying various methods, mostly to do with using the inbuilt recovery environment as well as safe mode, I still cannot get it to run, and also cannot access the files on my harddisk. Right now, I am using my laptop, which is running Linux.

After trying for hours to get through to HP technical support, I decided to email them, only to have them tell me to call them for support... but I emailed them because I couldn't get them on the phone! Grr....

I guess I will have to reformat the harddisk and reinstall everything. And how to get my personal files out from the harddisk? That is when Linux comes in again. I am thinking of using a Fedora 8 LiveCD to boot up my computer, mount my Vista harddisk, and transfer the files inside to a portable harddisk. After I reinstall Vista, I can then copy back the files into the original harddisk.

Guess I know what I will be doing this weekend...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm due for a new PC soon and I'm so hesitant as I don't want to make the leap to vista just yet. I think I may opt for putting together my own and sticking with xp.

good luck!

Teck said...

My advice is to stick with XP. I am using Vista only because the computer came with it... and I don't want to spend money buying a copy of XP.

Teck said...

By the way, I think Linux is going to save the day. Right now, I am on my desktop, running Fedora 8 LiveCD. Currently transferring my data files into a network drive, after which I will use the recovery program to revert my PC to the original state. And my data files will be safe on my network drive.

Anonymous said...

I found via google a post that Vista crashed on your pc and via Fedora 8 you wanted to save your files and reinstal Vista (http://teck78.blogspot.com/2008/01/windows-vista-crashed.html)
I have the same problem and want to do it the same way. Under which dev/..... did you found your personal files from Vista.
I would help me a lot if you could tell me that.
Greetz

Teck said...

Someone left me a post here (http://teck78.blogspot.com/2008/03/navigator-beer.html) asking about where to find his personal files on Vista. If I recall, what I did was use a Fedora LiveCD. Upon booting up, it would automatically search for harddisks, and mount them. If not, the main harddisk (HDD1) should be known as /dev/hda, with the main partition as /dev/hda1 and so forth. But I don't think you need to go through so much trouble searching for harddisks. If Fedora can find your harddisks, they should show up automatically on "My Computer".

Teck said...

After finding your harddisk on "My Computer" in Fedora, click on it to open/mount it. The personal files are inside the "Users" directory.

Anonymous said...

Thnx. This will probably help me a lot. I will let you konw if it worked.
greetz,

btw. never mentioned my name. It's Frank.